Bin Qalandar is a well-known Pakistani artist with great command on Islamic calligraphy. At a very young age, his audacious contemporary art flair started making a good mark amongst modern artists worldwide.
Born in Lahore, 1980, Qalandar received his formal education from the most prestigious art schools of Pakistan. He received his two year diploma in Fine Arts from Lahore Arts Council in 1999 and a one year diploma from Punjab University’s College of Arts and Design (PUCAD) in 2004. He continued his education and earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts specializing in Miniature painting from National College of Arts, Lahore in 2009.
He belongs to a Sufi family, his father was a Sufi associated with the Qalandri silisila. This legacy clearly defines his inclination toward Islamic calligraphy. A few years back, he participated in one of the art events in Dubai and from where he actually gained international fame. He earned great admiration from general public as well as the art critics. One of his paintings was picked for the office of Dubai’s Prime Minister.
Bin Qalandar’s paintings spellbound the art scene in the Arab World. His attention to minute details and color selection and combination separates him from the rest lot. He is blessed with the creative instincts that have been polished over the years. With perfect brush strokes, he paints his work in layers using acrylic, silver leaf and mix medium.
Awards He Bagged:
- 2008 Merit Prize in group exhibition “Transformation” National College of Arts, Lahore.
- 2008 Excellence Young Artist Award “International Calligraphic Exhibition”, Lahore.
- 2009 “The Journey” Hamail Art Galleries, Lahore
- 2009 “Thesis Show” at National College of Arts, Lahore.
- 2010 “Wisdom” – Art Scene Galleries, Karachi
- 2011 “Aliff” -Ejaz Galleries, Lahore
- 2012 “WalQalam” Hamail Art Galleries Dubai.
- 1999 “Young Calligraphic Artist Exhibition”, Bhalwal.
- 2003 “National Calligraphic Exhibition”, Faisalabad Arts Council, Faisalabad.
- 2004 Young Calligraphic Art Exhibition”, Lahore Museum, Lahore.
- 2006 International Calligraphy Exhibition“, Calligraphic Artist Guild, Lahore.
- 2007 “International Calligraphy Exhibition”, Alhamra Art Gallery, Lahore
- 2007 “International Calligraphy Exhibition“, Calligraphic Artist Guild, Lahore.
- 2007 “Khidonay”, Tollinton Market, Lahore.
- 2008 “Exhibition on Transformation”, National College of Arts, Lahore.
- 2009 “National Exhibition at Ejaz Galleries”, Lahore.
- 2009 “National Calligraphy Exhibition”, National Art Gallery, Islamabad.
- 2010 “Young Graduates Exhibition”, V.M Art gallery, Karachi
- 2010 “Group exhibition”, Revivers Gallery, Lahore.
- 2010 “Diverse Vision in Oman”, Ejaz Galleries, Lahore.
- 2010 “Group Exhibition by Young Artists” , NCA, Lahore.
- 2010 Calligraphy and Media Alhamra Art Gallery Lahore.
- 2011 “The Art of Calligraphy by Seven Calligraphers, Revivers gallery, Lahore.
- 2011 “Concert of Colors”, Group Exhibition, Omani Society, Oman.
- 2011 “Art Expo Malaysia “, Ejaz Galleries, Lahore,
- 2012 “Calligraphic Art” Ejaz Art Gallery Lahore.
- 2012 Noon Walqalam Satrang Art Gallery Islamabad 2012 “Vision” Gallery 6 Islamabad.
- 2012 Colors of Democracy National Assembly Islamabad
Bin Qalandar Calligraphy has its own characteristic style that is expanded beyond the traditional art and typical patterns of calligraphic art. His day and night hard work is reflected in the perfection of his art pieces.